In 2019, in celebration of 60 years of serving youth, Metro Detroit Youth Clubs committed to reaching more youth through local partnerships, driven by local donors seeking to deliver impact throughout the Southeastern Michigan region.
This bold step forward honors and continues the mission started in 1958 when community and business leaders joined Sylvester Christie and the Optimist Club to launch the Boys Club of Southern Oakland County. Today, Metro Detroit Youth Clubs continue to embrace serving today’s youth in new and innovative ways thanks to tremendous corporate and individual support.
The Club incorporated girls as part of the mission in 1980. In 1990, the Club expanded its mission to surrounding communities and changed the organization’s name to Boys & Girls Clubs of South Oakland County. In 2010, the Club again expanded its reach to four locations in two counties and the Club’s name was changed to Boys & Girls Clubs of Oakland & Macomb Counties. In 2019, the Club opened the Levin Comer Club, in honor of Senator Carl Levin, Congressman Sander Levin and Detroit entrepreneur Jim Comer, at the Durfee Innovation Society in Detroit. The Club’s name was changed to Metro Detroit Youth Clubs and the organization emerged as an independent 501(c)(3) non profit focused on delivering youth development programs throughout the region.